Steven Masur has over 24 years of experience advising emerging and established businesses on new opportunities and business challenges, most recently blockchain and cryptocurrency regulation. He also focuses his practice on corporate finance, M&A, intellectual property, entertainment, emerging businesses and strategic guidance. Steve has extensive experience in angel and venture capital finance, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and cross-border transactions in Europe and Asia. He is passionate about helping new businesses plan a path to success, and helping older businesses bridge the gap to new markets.
Steve brings a unique mix of legal, business, and strategic experience to bear on client matters. He has counseled enterprise level clients including Shazam, Virgin Mobile, Liberty Media, Yamaha, Nielsen Buzzmetrics, Bob Vila and Conde Nast Publications in corporate, digital media, and new business matters. He has also helped emerging businesses in a wide variety of sectors, and is especially knowledgeable in media, entertainment, advertising, consumer products, food and technology, including mobile, games, digital music, social media, augmented and virtual reality, blockchain and cryptocurrency regulation.
Steve has been recognized as a “Rising Star” and a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers. He serves on a variety of corporate and nonprofit boards and industry associations, and lectures and writes about major issues in venture capital, emerging businesses, entertainment law, technology and corporate strategy.
- Masur Griffitts + Co, LLP
- Cowan DeBaets Abrahams & Sheppard LLP
- MasurLaw (Masur & Associates, LLC)
- Sabin, Bermant & Gould LLP
- Government Accountability Project Inc.
- Colby College, 1984
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 1993
- Steven Masur, Collective Rights Licensing For Internet Downloads and Streams: Would It Properly Compensate Rights Holders?, 15 J. Internet L. 3 (November 2011).
- BOOK: Steven Masur et al., Collective Licensing at the ISP Level(David Mazur dep. ed., 2010).
- Steven Masur, What’s the Point in New York’s LLC Publication Requirement? VOL. 13, NO. 1, NYSBA BUSINESS LAW JOURNAL (2009).
- Steven Masur and David Mazur, Veoh: Increased Protection for Service Providers, Or a Trapdoor?, 15 No. 5 INTELL. PROP. STRATEGIST 1 (2009).
- Ready, Handset, Go: The Rules of Mobile Marketing, BILLBOARD, July 19, 2008, at 8.
- Steven Masur and John Maher, Mobile Phone Text Message Spam: Building A Vibrant Market For Mobile Advertising While Keeping Customers Happy, 7 Va. Sports & Ent. L.J. 41 (2007).
- Playing to Win: Negotiating Tips for Mobile Game Development Agreements, 18 No. 2 NYSBA ENT., ARTS AND SPORTS L.J. 64 (2007).
- Confidentiality in a High–Tech World, GP SOLO, July/August 2007, at 42.
- A Good Deal More, MOBILE ENT., May 2007, at 37.
ASSOCIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- National Arts Club, Co-Chair, Art & Technology Committee
- PGA NMC (Producers Guild of America, New Media Council)
- ITAC (New York’s Industrial and Technology Assistance Corporation) – Board of Directors
- Institute of Play – Board of Directors, former Board Chair
- IAEL (International Association of Entertainment Lawyers) – Executive Board, Editor of IAEL Book: Collective Licensing at the ISP Level (2010)
- Transmission Institute – International Advisory Board
- NYSBA – Business Law Section – Executive Committee; TechVenture Law Committee – Former Chair; Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section
- Harvestworks – Board of Directors
- MOUSE (former board member)
- IGDA (International Game Developers Association)
- NYTM (NY Technology Meetup) – Community Committee, Law and Business Liaison
- NARM (National Association of Recording Merchandisers) Digital Think Tank
- MEF (Mobile Entertainment Forum), Americas – Former Board Member
- NYCLA eMIPS (Entertainment, Media Intellectual Property and Sports Law Section) – Co-Founder and Former Chair
- ABCNY Entertainment Law Committee