Steven Masur has over 25 years of experience advising early, growth and enterprise stage companies in emerging industries. Steve brings a unique mix of legal, business, and strategic experience to bear on client matters and is passionate about helping committed teams execute upon a path to success in new markets. Steve has been an early innovator in internet, software, entertainment, games, and mobile technologies, and has most recently focused on blockchain, cryptocurrencies, and cannabis.
Steve’s practice disciplines include corporate and commercial deals, intellectual property, local and international regulatory issues, and strategic guidance. Steve has extensive experience in venture capital finance, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic and cross-border transactions. He has counseled enterprise level clients including Shazam, Virgin Mobile, Liberty Media, Yamaha, Diageo, Nielsen Buzzmetrics, Warner Music Group, Bob Vila and Conde Nast Publications. He has also helped emerging businesses in a wide variety of sectors, and is especially knowledgeable in media, entertainment, advertising, consumer products, food and beverages, and technology including mobile, games, digital music, social media, augmented and virtual reality, blockchain, cryptocurrency and cannabis regulation.
Steve has been recognized as a “Rising Star” and a “Super Lawyer” and serves on a variety of corporate and nonprofit boards and industry associations. He regularly lectures and writes about major issues in technology, venture capital, emerging industries, blockchain, cryptocurrency and cannabis regulation.
- Masur Griffitts + LLP
- Cowan DeBaets Abrahams & Sheppard LLP
- MasurLaw (Masur & Associates, LLC)
- Sabin, Bermant & Gould LLP
- Government Accountability Project Inc.
- Colby College, 1984
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 1993
- Steven Masur, Collective Rights Licensing For Internet Downloads and Streams: Would It Properly Compensate Rights Holders?, 15 J. Internet L. 3 (November 2011).
- BOOK: Steven Masur et al., Collective Licensing at the ISP Level(David Mazur dep. ed., 2010).
- Steven Masur, What’s the Point in New York’s LLC Publication Requirement? VOL. 13, NO. 1, NYSBA BUSINESS LAW JOURNAL (2009).
- Steven Masur and David Mazur, Veoh: Increased Protection for Service Providers, Or a Trapdoor?, 15 No. 5 INTELL. PROP. STRATEGIST 1 (2009).
- Ready, Handset, Go: The Rules of Mobile Marketing, BILLBOARD, July 19, 2008, at 8.
- Steven Masur and John Maher, Mobile Phone Text Message Spam: Building A Vibrant Market For Mobile Advertising While Keeping Customers Happy, 7 Va. Sports & Ent. L.J. 41 (2007).
- Playing to Win: Negotiating Tips for Mobile Game Development Agreements, 18 No. 2 NYSBA ENT., ARTS AND SPORTS L.J. 64 (2007).
- Confidentiality in a High–Tech World, GP SOLO, July/August 2007, at 42.
- A Good Deal More, MOBILE ENT., May 2007, at 37.
ASSOCIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- National Arts Club, Co-Chair, Art & Technology Committee
- PGA NMC (Producers Guild of America, New Media Council)
- ITAC (New York’s Industrial and Technology Assistance Corporation) – Board of Directors
- Institute of Play – Board of Directors, former Board Chair
- IAEL (International Association of Entertainment Lawyers) – Executive Board, Editor of IAEL Book: Collective Licensing at the ISP Level (2010)
- Transmission Institute – International Advisory Board
- NYSBA – Business Law Section – Executive Committee; TechVenture Law Committee – Former Chair; Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section
- Harvestworks – Board of Directors
- MOUSE (former board member)
- IGDA (International Game Developers Association)
- NYTM (NY Technology Meetup) – Community Committee, Law and Business Liaison
- NARM (National Association of Recording Merchandisers) Digital Think Tank
- MEF (Mobile Entertainment Forum), Americas – Former Board Member
- NYCLA eMIPS (Entertainment, Media Intellectual Property and Sports Law Section) – Co-Founder and Former Chair
- ABCNY Entertainment Law Committee